Adaptive Athlete Application
Applications for adaptive athletes will be accepted for consideration and reviewed by our Challenge participant coordinators. Athletes selected to participate in the Challenge will be contacted directly by World T.E.A.M. In addition, we will ask some applicants to register as volunteers, but be prepared to participate as an athlete should a registered athlete drop out unexpectedly.
To be considered as a candidate by our adaptive athlete participation committee and be invited to register as a participating athlete, the successful applicant must:
- Have a documented physical, emotional or developmental disability through birth, injury or illness;
- Be physically fit to be able to a physically demanding outdoor adventure in a wilderness environment, including cycling, hiking, rafting/other water-based activities, along with other activities to be determined;
- Be able to fully commit at the time of registration to our September 8-11, 2022 program. As this is a team-based program, it is critical that each athlete chosen to join a team be able to commit.
An accepted athlete who receives an invitation to participate will then need to register. An application is not complete until the registration process is complete. There is a $50 registration fee, and a commitment of $450 in fundraising for our adaptive athletes. You must meet these financial commitments to participate. Participants are required to meet their fundraising commitment by September 2, 2022, or an autocharge will be applied to the provided credit account to reach this commitment. We allow team captains to re-allocate team donations to cover the fundraising commitments of the adaptive athletes on their teams.
- Adaptive Athletes may be eligible for a travel grant even after their first year attending, provided approval from our Travel Committee. These travel grants will be determined based on financial need and other factors. This includes air, bus, train and car mileage. Due to the limits of the organization, grants will vary in amounts and will be limited.
- All air travel must be booked by the adaptive athlete, and communicated to World T.E.A.M. staff.
- Our team will be available to assist with research of flight options, as well as coordinating special requests, including traveling with adaptive equipment, with the airlines. Please contact for assistance.
- Family members or friends transportation is the responsibility of the athlete.